If you didn’t catch yesterday’s college blog post, I’d urge you to check it out: Do-It-Yourself College Rankings I wrote about Michelle Kretzschmar, who created an impressive spreadsheet system to help families assemble a list of promising colleges based on their own priorities. In today’s post I’m sharing some of the steps that Michelle, the [...]
It’s not often that I stumble across a college blog that I can get really excited about. Today I am happy to share a great resource that stands out from the crowd. I urge everyone to check out DIYCollegeRankings. DIYCollegeRankings (the DIY stands for Do It Yourself), which was created by Michelle Kretzschmar, a former [...]
A mom emailed me earlier this week and I’ve somehow managed to stretch out the topic of her concern to three posts. If you’re curious, here are the previous ones: Who Is Stressed Out About College? Do You Really Expect Me To Pay That Much for College? Today I’m going to address her chief question: [...]
In my last post I shared an email from a mom whose is concerned that her family makes too much money to qualify for financial aid at schools on her son’s list. If you missed the post, here it is: Do You Really Expect Me to Pay That Much for College? I had intended to [...]
I wanted to share an email that I received over the weekend from a mom named Linda, who is questioning whether her bright son’s No. 1 college choice – Cal Tech – is out of reach financially. Mom’s Email Here is what Linda wrote: My son, a rising freshman, has dreamed of attending Cal Tech [...]
What is the best way to ace your teenager’s final exams? This is a timely question as millions of high school students are getting ready to take their final exams. You might assume that reading textbooks and notes over and over again is the best way to study, but researchers from Purdue and Washington University [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- My Take on the College Board’s BigFuture March 20, 2012
- Ending College Stonewalling on Grad Salaries May 16, 2013
- College Options for Musical and Artistic Students May 13, 2013
- A 53% Discount Off a College Sticker Price May 10, 2013
- 8 Things to Know About Attending State Universities Outside Your Borders May 8, 2013
- Should Students Attend a State University Beyond Their Borders? May 6, 2013
- The Odds of a Full-Ride Athletic Scholarship May 3, 2013
- The realities of athletic scholarships May 1, 2013
- Measuring a School’s ROI with College Reality Check April 29, 2013
- Stuart: The problem is that too much of the focus is on sa...
- Steve: Thanks for the reply Lynn. A very informative site...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Congratulations Annette. Your son definitely beat ...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks for your comments Stuart. Actually there is...
- Stuart: I agree with your closing points. Having worked wi...
- Leigh Moore: Lynn, I don't think I exaggerate when I say that e...
- Annette: I winced while reading the above post which skewer...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Steve, Taking the cash out of your house is a ...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter