I have much to be grateful for during this time of thanksgiving and one of my best gifts this year is you. I appreciate you and every other person who found their way to my blog this year. And hundreds of thousands of you did. It makes me happy to know that, in my own [...]
The prospect of rejection is one of the most stressful aspects of the college admission process. In reality, however, most students don’t have to fear rejection. In its annual survey of college freshmen, UCLA always seems to find that about 75% of students are accepted into their first-choice school. Today, I wanted to share a [...]
I’m sure a lot of you out there are relieved if your children intend to major in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) field, which represent just six percent of the current American workforce. STEM majors find the job market much easier because too few Americans are receiving degrees in these difficult disciplines. And STEM [...]
(Note: I have discovered that if you don’t have a Chronicle of Higher Education subscription, you can’t access the tool that I discuss in this post. I did receive permission from The Chronicle this afternoon to share this PDF of the prices of individual colleges that are broken down by price. Lynn O.) Excuse me [...]
As I’ve mentioned in previous college blog posts, net price calculators allow you to obtain a personalized estimate of what a school will cost after deducting any scholarships and grants that your child might be receiving. Before you let your child apply to any colleges, make sure you have used each school’s net price calculator. [...]
If you’ll be filling out the FAFSA during this admission season for a high school teenager, be careful how you list the colleges that your child will be applying to. Colleges could use that information against you. Some schools — no one knows how many – are checking the FAFSA to see in what order [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Do STEM Majors Really Enjoy an Advantage? November 13, 2013
- Looking For Great College Bargains November 8, 2013
- How to Spot a Lousy Net Price Calculator November 4, 2013
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Ann for the kind words! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Ann: Thanks so much for the blog, Lynn! I check in on i...
- Dan: This article is stupid! Engineering is HARD, but ...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Alice for sharing what Wellesley is doing t...
- Alice Foster McCallum: Lynn, I thought you would find it of interest t...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: You are so right Charles! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Charles Feiner: Bottom Line: While it’s certainly possible a st...
- Charles Feiner: Lynn, In your book you recommended the article in ...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter