This is the second day that I’m devoting to evaluating financial aid letters. If you missed it, here is the first post that I wrote on this important subject: What’s Wrong with This Financial Aid Letter? Today I’m sharing another financial aid award that I obtained from Paula Bishop, a CPA from Bellevue, WA, who [...]
I’d love to hear from parents who have tried using the net price calculators that nearly every college and university must post on their websites. Have you had good experiences or have the net price calculators tried to trick you into believing that a school is going to be affordable? I’ll mention why I am [...]
This is the time of year when parents are stressing about paying for their child’s college tab. I’ve been hearing from parents who haven’t been able to borrow enough for college. I thought I’d share one of these emails. A Mom’s Dilemma Here is the mom’s note: I would like to know what to do [...]
The unrelenting cost of college is hitting upper-middle-class families hard. According to a front-page analysis today in The Wall Street Journal, it’s these families who are experiencing the largest rise in college-loan debt. In its analysis, the newspaper categorized upper-middle-income as households with yearly incomes in the 80th to 90th percentiles that range from $94,000 [...]
I’ve been linking my posts to the federal student aid sites for years, but I haven’t done it with any enthusiasm. These websites, which have included information about federal student loans and grants, have been disjointed and borderline unhelpful. The websites reeked of bureaucratic jargon and didn’t provide any context for federal aid programs. I [...]
Today I’m sharing an email from a mom from New Mexico, who is understandably stressed about the college bill she is gearing up to face for the third of her four children. I’ve got my own thoughts, but I’d love to hear what advice you might give this family. A Mom’s Question Here is the [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Do STEM Majors Really Enjoy an Advantage? November 13, 2013
- Looking For Great College Bargains November 8, 2013
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Dana! I do feel very lucky. Lynn O'Shaughn...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks so much for your note! I hope your child g...
- dave: I'm sorry but if your parents don't want to spend ...
- 2014 HS Mama: Yes, I thank you so much, also. Your words are hel...
- David: One good reason the ACT might be winning - student...
- Dana: I'm thankful for the wealth of information that yo...
- Sona: As a mom to a freshman I find it really useful. Th...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Ann for the kind words! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter