I have much to be grateful for during this time of thanksgiving and one of my best gifts this year is you. I appreciate you and every other person who found their way to my blog this year. And hundreds of thousands of you did. It makes me happy to know that, in my own [...]
(Note: I have discovered that if you don’t have a Chronicle of Higher Education subscription, you can’t access the tool that I discuss in this post. I did receive permission from The Chronicle this afternoon to share this PDF of the prices of individual colleges that are broken down by price. Lynn O.) Excuse me [...]
I created a slideshow for my college blog at CBS MoneyWatch today that shares 10 tips for writing a winning college essay. Minerva, my eight-year-old golden retriever, illustrates Tip. No. 3. Please check it out! LO I wrote the following post in August, 2011, but with college students heading back to school, I decided it [...]
on April 15, 2013 in Uncategorized
I decided to share a few photos that I took during my weekend trip to Beloit College. My husband and I hadn’t seen our son, Ben, who is finishing up his junior year, since the Christmas break. I apologize in advance for sharing family photos! Our excuse for schlepping to Beloit was to attend the [...]
In my last post, a mom (Rebecca) expressed her frustration with merit scholarship policies. Many parents responded, which I appreciate. It’s clearly an issue that parents like to vent about. If you missed the post, I’d urge you to read it: Are Merit Scholarships Are Fair? I have been in a position similar to what [...]
I wrote the following post last August, but with college students heading back to school, I decided it was worthwhile to run it again. LO Before my son Ben left to start his sophomore year at Beloit College, we talked about the advice in a chapter of The Thinking Student’s Guide to College: 75 Tips [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Do STEM Majors Really Enjoy an Advantage? November 13, 2013
- Looking For Great College Bargains November 8, 2013
- How to Spot a Lousy Net Price Calculator November 4, 2013
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Ann for the kind words! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Ann: Thanks so much for the blog, Lynn! I check in on i...
- Dan: This article is stupid! Engineering is HARD, but ...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Alice for sharing what Wellesley is doing t...
- Alice Foster McCallum: Lynn, I thought you would find it of interest t...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: You are so right Charles! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Charles Feiner: Bottom Line: While it’s certainly possible a st...
- Charles Feiner: Lynn, In your book you recommended the article in ...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter