Since we’re in the midst of college essay season, I wanted to share some wonderful advice about how to write a great college essay. Janine Robinson, my go-to-person for the best college-essay tips, writes regularly on this topic at her blog – Essay Hell. I’d highly recommend that you visit Essay Hell and also check [...]
on June 26, 2013 in Uncategorized
Note: Michelle Kretzschmar of Do It Yourself College Rankings and I will be holding our next college webinar at 4 p.m. PDT this Sunday (July 7). You can discover what we will be covering by clicking on my webinar link. We will also be answering your questions. We hope you can attend! Lynn O’Shaughnessy I [...]
Earlier this week the Common Application organization released its new college essay prompts. For months plenty of people (myself included) worried that the advisory board of 15 counselors in charge of revising the prompts were going to recommend killing off Option 6, which encourages applicants to write creatively. Sure enough, Option 6 that allows applicants [...]
I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that most students dread writing their college essays. I fear that the task will become harder for many students beginning in the next admission season. As I mentioned in my last college blog post, the nonprofit that overseas the Common Application has announced plans to eliminate what [...]
Many of you probably aren’t aware of the changes that are in store next year for the main essay in the Common Application. The news isn’t good. After conferring for 1 1/2 years, a committee of counselors decided to strike a blow against teenage creativity. If you’ve seen the Common Application, you can appreciate that [...]
If you (or your child) is a rising senior, now is a good time to get started on the dreaded college essay. If you’re applying to a Common Application school – and there are now nearly 500 colleges and universities that use this form – you will have six college essay choices. If it’s any [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Private Scholarships December 12, 2013
- Who Should Complete the FAFSA? December 10, 2013
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Wsr: Sorry, this was a reply to Adam....
- Wsr: Wow, who in the world would hire you I don't know ...
- Ken: Excellent list Lynn, great way for students and pa...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Nuri, Mark Kantrowitz probably knows more abou...
- popeye: I'm 22 I've been independent since 18 n i was able...
- Marline: Well said. My family is also an upper middle class...
- Nuri: Hu Lynn, Can you elaborate on this a little more,...
- Bob Gilvey: There must be a connection between The Common Core...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter