Today I am sharing two excellent how-to videos from a friend of mine, Tamika Lewis, who is an independent college consultant and a counselor in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Tamika put together an excellent tutorial on how to complete the Common Application, which is the document that more than 500 colleges are now [...]
on October 21, 2013 in Uncategorized
The Common Application emailed the lengthy letter below to the counseling community on Friday, which college consultants, high school counselors and anyone with a high school senior might like to see. In the email, the nonprofit apologized for its continuing problems and for being too slow to respond. Let’s hope all the problems are fixed [...]
on October 16, 2013 in Uncategorized
College blog post update: Since I first wrote the post below, there have been more developments in the continuing Common App fiasco: More schools are extending their Common App deadlines for Early Action and Early Decision. Here are the names of some of them: Duke, Roanoke, Marist, Boston University, SUNY Geneseo Northwestern, University of Chicago, [...]
Do the schools that your children are interested in attending know that they exist? Or will they be stealth college applicants? As you’ll learn momentarily, stealth applicants can unwittingly hurt their admission chances at some colleges and universities. Growing Stealth Applications The number of teenagers who are applying as stealth applicants has been growing at [...]
on August 9, 2013 in Uncategorized
Today’s college blog post was written by Alison Cooper Chisolm, who heads the college admissions consulting practice at Ivey College Consulting. Prior to becoming a college consultant, Chisolm worked in admissions for more than 10 years at three selective universities (Southern Methodist University, University of Chicago and Dartmouth College). Chisolm is the co-author of How [...]
on June 26, 2013 in Uncategorized
Note: Michelle Kretzschmar of Do It Yourself College Rankings and I will be holding our next college webinar at 4 p.m. PDT this Sunday (July 7). You can discover what we will be covering by clicking on my webinar link. We will also be answering your questions. We hope you can attend! Lynn O’Shaughnessy I [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Private Scholarships December 12, 2013
- Who Should Complete the FAFSA? December 10, 2013
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Nuri, Mark Kantrowitz probably knows more abou...
- popeye: I'm 22 I've been independent since 18 n i was able...
- Marline: Well said. My family is also an upper middle class...
- Nuri: Hu Lynn, Can you elaborate on this a little more,...
- Bob Gilvey: There must be a connection between The Common Core...
- Susan: The list of colleges above might be generous to th...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: You're very welcome Brenda! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Brenda Breton: Thank you for sharing your resources and informati...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter