This week the National Association for College Admission Counseling released its 10th annual report on college admission trends. Here are some of the study highlights: College Enrollment Since the turn of the century, college enrollment has grown 37 percent. In 2000, 15.3 million Americans were attending college while today there are more than 21 million. [...]
Should a student apply early decision? At some schools, the deadline for early decision applications is as soon as Nov. 1. Today I am sharing a post written by Peter Van Buskirk, a veteran admission expert, on his take on Early Decision applications. Last week I ran Peter’s post on Early Action applications. If you [...]
Applying early action and early decision has become an increasingly popular practice among teenagers who are aiming for highly selective colleges and universities. Today I am happy to share with you a post written on this important topic by Peter Van Buskirk, a former admission dean, higher-ed speaker and educational advocate for families. You can [...]
I’m sharing an email that I received from an anxious dad in North Carolina, who asked me for advice about an early decision application. I ran this post last year, but it will be just as helpful today for those contemplating applying to colleges via early decision. Here is what the dad wrote: Dilemma from [...]
I’m sharing an email that I received over the weekend from an anxious dad in North Carolina, who asked me for advice about an early decision application. I’ve changed the name of the son. Here is what he wrote: Dilemma from a Dad from North Carolina My son, Andrew, would like to go to Davidson [...]
What are the latest college admission trends? Every year, the National Association for College Admission Counseling releases a survey that attempts to answer that question. Here are some of the trends that jumped out at me when I was reading the 2011 State of College Admission: College Applications on the Rise Most schools (73%) experienced [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- My Take on the College Board’s BigFuture March 20, 2012
- When admission reps don’t know what they are talking about May 22, 2013
- Kick Off the Summer By Attending Our College Webinar May 19, 2013
- Ending College Stonewalling on Grad Salaries May 16, 2013
- College Options for Musical and Artistic Students May 13, 2013
- A 53% Discount Off a College Sticker Price May 10, 2013
- 8 Things to Know About Attending State Universities Outside Your Borders May 8, 2013
- Should Students Attend a State University Beyond Their Borders? May 6, 2013
- The Odds of a Full-Ride Athletic Scholarship May 3, 2013
- Stuart: Hi Lynn, I read this and thought about the sale...
- Wendy: Parents need to keep in mind that the admission re...
- Veronica: I'm sorry to bother, but alas i shall continue. ...
- Jane: Very informative blog. As soon-to-be college ...
- Selina Carter: I would like to add a little gem I found in Leesbu...
- Stuart: The problem is that too much of the focus is on sa...
- Steve: Thanks for the reply Lynn. A very informative site...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Congratulations Annette. Your son definitely beat ...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter