This is a stressful time for teenagers and parents who are waiting for acceptances. Or who are trying to decide what the ultimate college choice will be. Or who are wondering how they are going to pay for a school when their financial aid package is inadequate. Today I want to share some conversations that [...]
on March 10, 2013 in Admissions
In my last post, a mom (Rebecca) expressed her frustration with merit scholarship policies. Many parents responded, which I appreciate. It’s clearly an issue that parents like to vent about. If you missed the post, I’d urge you to read it: Are Merit Scholarships Are Fair? I have been in a position similar to what [...]
I wanted to share this note that I got today from a mother, who wonders about the fairness of merit aid scholarship policies. In my next post, I’ll comment on Rebecca’s note. I’d urge you to share your thoughts on this subject in the comment box below. – Lynn O’Shaughnessy Hi Lynn, I would love [...]
Today I’m answering a question from a father, who is puzzled by the Expected Family Contribution figure he generated when using an EFC calculator. I think my answer to him will be helpful for just about anybody who will eventually be filing for financial aid. If you don’t understand what the term EFC is, please [...]
Do you know what your Expected Family Contribution is? If you don’t, you should make it a priority to obtain this number. I’d argue that families need to know what their preliminary EFC is before they begin looking at colleges. Unfortunately, most families don’t have a clue about what their EFC is until their children [...]
I am sharing an email that I got this week from a wealthy single mom, who is anticipating her college costs for her twins. I comment on her situation below and I’d love to hear from you too. If you have any advice, please share it in the comment box below. Mom’s Email: Lynn, I [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- My Take on the College Board’s BigFuture March 20, 2012
- Colleges for students with learning disabilitites May 24, 2013
- When admission reps don’t know what they are talking about May 22, 2013
- Kick Off the Summer By Attending Our College Webinar May 19, 2013
- Ending College Stonewalling on Grad Salaries May 16, 2013
- College Options for Musical and Artistic Students May 13, 2013
- A 53% Discount Off a College Sticker Price May 10, 2013
- 8 Things to Know About Attending State Universities Outside Your Borders May 8, 2013
- Should Students Attend a State University Beyond Their Borders? May 6, 2013
- You will discover Christian Louboutin wedges - - Kikooboo.com - Message: When admission reps don't know what they are talki...
- Sarah Dugo: Great article-re-tweeted on @futuredoll...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Will do. Thanks Sylvia. Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Stuart: I would agree, except that admissions practices ar...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Pris - You can't claim that your mother is single ...
- Sylvia Carson: Hi Lynn, Please send me a reminder for your nex...
- Pris: Hi, my parents are married but filed seprately and...
- phoebe: Personally, I wouldn't rely on an admissions rep f...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter