Hi everyone – I will be launching a six-week college called Cutting the Cost of College beginning Feb. 12. Please scroll down to the bottom of this post to learn more and email me at Lynn@TheCollegeSolution.com if you want further notifications! Lynn O’Shaughnessy I have much to be grateful for during this time of thanksgiving [...]
I was in Toronto for the past several days attending the annual monster conference of the National Association for College Admission Counselors. I was a presenter with a couple of my friends – Paula Bishop and Cyndy McDonald – at a pre-conference, which I hope was beneficial for those who attended. I can’t recall ever [...]
on July 12, 2013 in Uncategorized
I wrote this post on Friday, but since then I’ve gotten some more suggestions to add to the list of liberal arts colleges in or near cities including Trinity University in San Antonio, TX. A Trinity alum provided some fascinating history about schools that technically should no longer be considered liberal arts colleges, such as [...]
Yesterday I wrote a post about a teenager with a 3.4 GPA who failed to capture a scholarship from any of the schools where he applied. This is hard to do when you consider that two-thirds of college student don’t pay the sticker price for college. If you missed yesterday’s post, here it is: Getting [...]
If you didn’t read my college blog post yesterday, I hope you do because it focused on a lot of hot-button issues for parents and teenagers trying to navigate the college process. The post, which was actually an email from the mom of a high school senior, touched upon such issues as: Brand name snob [...]
I am answering a question from a mom from Southern California today. Here is what she wrote: Could you comment on choosing colleges that are in different weather areas? After reading your blogs and talking to other parents, a student can get more more merit aid if she applies out of state. My daughter plans [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- Schools That Award Lots of Merit Scholarships December 16, 2013
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Private Scholarships December 12, 2013
- Who Should Complete the FAFSA? December 10, 2013
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Jennifer, That doesn't make any sense. You can...
- Tamara Krause: Great article and information. Anyone using a scho...
- Jennifer: Last night our high school counselor said that the...
- Wsr: Sorry, this was a reply to Adam....
- Wsr: Wow, who in the world would hire you I don't know ...
- Ken: Excellent list Lynn, great way for students and pa...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Nuri, Mark Kantrowitz probably knows more abou...
- popeye: I'm 22 I've been independent since 18 n i was able...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter