My husband Bruce and I visited Beloit College over the weekend to attend a biannual parent committee meeting and – of course – we were excited to see Ben, who is finishing up his sophomore year. When you live in San Diego, it’s hard to pinpoint when spring arrives since it is green year round. [...]
I wrote a post for my CBS MoneyWatch college blog on Friday that blew out Antioch College’s server. How did I do that? Actually, it wasn’t me. I was just the messenger for the liberal arts college that had a dramatic announcement to make. For the next three years, Antioch College in Yellow Springs, OH, [...]
It’s decision time for high school seniors who typically have until May 1 to decide where they’re going to attend college in the fall. Recognizing it’s crunch time, someone at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA, sent me a list of eight tips that Suzanne Holland, an ethics and religion professor at the [...]
When I dropped my son Ben off at Beloit College (WI) in mid August, I left with a lot of questions. Would he adjust well to college? Could he handle his classes? Would he make friends? And would he tell his mom or dad if the answers to any or all of the preceding questions [...]
Should you apply early decision? I got an email last night from a psychologist who asked if his daughter should apply early decision to The College of New Jersey, which is a public liberal arts college. Last month, I wrote about the early decision dilemma that a mom from Minnesota was facing regarding her daughter’s [...]
My family lives in California where roughly 84 percent of the state’s college-bound students enroll in public colleges and universities here. With such a strong tradition of students staying put for college, my son Ben wasn’t surprised at the reaction he routinely received this spring when students at his high school in San Diego asked [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- My Take on the College Board’s BigFuture March 20, 2012
- Colleges and Universities That are Test-Optional June 17, 2013
- A Dad’s Suggestions for a Better College Tour June 14, 2013
- A University That Treats Career Advice Seriously June 12, 2013
- What’s Wrong With College Career Service Offices June 10, 2013
- Getting Stiffed By Syracuse University June 7, 2013
- Should You Take the ACT or SAT? June 5, 2013
- Check Out Our 1st College Webinar June 3, 2013
- Predictions About the New SAT Test May 31, 2013
- Nick: I agree with you mostly but why does an education ...
- Jay: I agree - most career service offices are out of t...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Parent 2014 -- I'd have to agree with you about th...
- Marcy: We toured Snoma State University, not only did the...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Wendy, Your bad experience reminded me of a to...
- Wendy: The worst tour experience we had with my daughter ...
- buthryan: This is a great list of suggestions. College tour ...
- Parent 2014: I agree, except for the bit about wearing polo shi...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter