I once bumped into a father I know whose daughter had attended the same middle school as my son. I asked him where his daughter was attending college and he told me that she was enrolled at a community college. I was surprised because Rachel is a very bright girl. The dad explained, however, that [...]
Today I’m sharing a great resource for students, who want to learn more about college majors and their career paths – College Majors 101. I’d urge everybody to spend some time on this website, which is stuffed with valuable information about college majors as diverse as biology and engineering to video game design and dance. [...]
NOTE: I will be giving an all-day college workshop for parents of teenagers on Saturday Oct. 15 at the University of California, San Diego, that will focus on empowering parents and teenagers to make smart decisions on selecting colleges and making them more affordable. You can learn much more by visiting my landing page devoted [...]
Parents always seem relieved when their children decide to major in something practical like business, which is the most popular major in America. While students can succeed in life regardless of their major, families often don’t take that argument seriously. I was thinking about this over the weekend when my husband and I were visiting [...]
I got an email yesterday from a mom whose teenage daughter wants to become a registered nurse. The mother wanted to know how her daughter could find a list of colleges and universities that offer nursing degrees. This is a great question and the answer is relevant to anybody who wants to cast a wider [...]
In one of my college blog posts last week, I was raving about a new book, The Thinking Student’s Guide to College by Andrew Roberts, who is an assistant professor of political science at Northwestern University. If you missed the post, here it is: The Thinking Student’s Guide to College Today I wanted to share [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- My Take on the College Board’s BigFuture March 20, 2012
- Colleges and Universities That are Test-Optional June 17, 2013
- A Dad’s Suggestions for a Better College Tour June 14, 2013
- A University That Treats Career Advice Seriously June 12, 2013
- What’s Wrong With College Career Service Offices June 10, 2013
- Getting Stiffed By Syracuse University June 7, 2013
- Should You Take the ACT or SAT? June 5, 2013
- Check Out Our 1st College Webinar June 3, 2013
- Predictions About the New SAT Test May 31, 2013
- Nick: I agree with you mostly but why does an education ...
- Jay: I agree - most career service offices are out of t...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Parent 2014 -- I'd have to agree with you about th...
- Marcy: We toured Snoma State University, not only did the...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Hi Wendy, Your bad experience reminded me of a to...
- Wendy: The worst tour experience we had with my daughter ...
- buthryan: This is a great list of suggestions. College tour ...
- Parent 2014: I agree, except for the bit about wearing polo shi...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter