I wrote a post for my CBS MoneyWatch college blog on Friday that blew out Antioch College’s server. How did I do that? Actually, it wasn’t me. I was just the messenger for the liberal arts college that had a dramatic announcement to make. For the next three years, Antioch College in Yellow Springs, OH, [...]
Winning private college scholarships can certainly help make college more affordable, but you need to know the realities of competing for college cash. My pet peeve about private scholarships is that people assume that they are the biggest source of college cash when they are really the smallest. Before you start hunting for private college [...]
This is my second post on deciphering college financial aid packages. Yesterday, I explained what sort of federal financial aid assistance you might find in your financial aid award. How To Decode a Financial Aid Letter Today, I’m going to cover the types of college grants that parents typically find in a financial aid letter. [...]
I heard today from a dad named John, who got Rutgers to quadruple the academic scholarship that it is offering his daughter. After hearing from John, Rutgers scotched the original $10,000 scholarship and replaced it with a $40,000 college scholarship instead. How did he do it? It was simple. On February 17, John sent an [...]
How do you ace a college interview? That’s what my son was wondering this weekend during his visit to Beloit College. About 130 high school seniors were on campus to compete for one of the school’s Presidential Scholarships, which are worth up to $68,000. Have fun and relax. That’s what everyone told the hopeful teenagers, [...]
I wanted to share with you an email that I received last night from a high school freshman, who spent her Christmas break stressing out: Dear Lynn, I am a freshman in high school, and I am enrolled in all advanced placement classes. For the first marking period, I received all B’s and one A+. [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- Who Should Complete the FAFSA? December 10, 2013
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Do STEM Majors Really Enjoy an Advantage? November 13, 2013
- Bob Gilvey: There must be a connection between The Common Core...
- Susan: The list of colleges above might be generous to th...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: You're very welcome Brenda! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Brenda Breton: Thank you for sharing your resources and informati...
- Dave: That's "an answer."...
- Dave: I'm a college prof and I don't see and answer. My ...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Ann for spending time on my blog and recomm...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Sona! I just saw your comment. It's smart t...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter