I received an email from a mom over the weekend who was unhappy that her daughter, who beat the odds and got into an Ivy League school, didn’t receive a scholarship from the institution. Here is her note: Our annual household income is more than $750,000 –my daughter is admitted to Harvard – does that [...]
Yesterday I described how you can use College Results Online to help you generate a promising list of college. If you missed it, here it is: Getting Ideas For a College List Here’s another idea: Head to The Center for College Affordability and Productivity, which is the think tank that generates Forbes magazine’s annual college [...]
Today I’m sharing with you a great post from Michelle Kretzschmar, who writes a college blog that focuses on using data to create your own college rankings: DIYCollegeRankings. I hope you read it and also visit her blog. Football and US News Rankings Like more than 100 million other Americans, I watched the Super Bowl. [...]
Yesterday, in writing about the latest college rankings scandal on my college blog, I mentioned that the institutional pursuit of college rankings glory, has hurt millions of students in ways they can’t even imagine. Today I want to elaborate on that observation. If you missed yesterday’s post, here it is: Colleges and Universities That Cheat [...]
I’ve been in New Orleans this week attending the annual conference of the National Association for College Admission Counseling. At the conference I’ve been doing short interviews with college experts whom I think you’ll enjoy hearing from. I’m going to start out today with an interview that I conducted with Robert Morse, who is the [...]
As many of you know, I’m not a fan of US News and World Report’s college rankings even though I write a college blog for the magazine. The methodology is flawed and the rankings sponsor does not try to measure what kind of education students receive at their schools. What I find even more troubling [...]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Join Lynn's newsletter and be among the first to know what's going on in the college world. Enter your email address below to get started:
- Deadbeat Parents Who Won’t Help Pay for College February 27, 2012
- Getting Financial Aid As an Independent Student January 15, 2010
- Avoiding 10 Common FAFSA Mistakes December 30, 2011
- What’s Wrong With College Dream Lists April 4, 2012
- An Email from a Disillusioned Mom March 22, 2012
- Should a Kid Borrow $80,000 for a Brand Name University? April 19, 2012
- Getting Real About Majoring in Engineering September 16, 2012
- 30 Liberal Arts Colleges In or Near Cities July 18, 2010
- Who Should Complete the FAFSA? December 10, 2013
- The Best Way to Study for Final Exams December 6, 2013
- What’s New With the SAT December 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving Blessings November 29, 2013
- What Colleges Are Stressed About Filling Their Seats November 25, 2013
- Video Guides to Completing 2 Popular College Applications November 21, 2013
- How Admission Offices Use Big Data to Track Students November 18, 2013
- Do STEM Majors Really Enjoy an Advantage? November 13, 2013
- Bob Gilvey: There must be a connection between The Common Core...
- Susan: The list of colleges above might be generous to th...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: You're very welcome Brenda! Lynn O'Shaughnessy...
- Brenda Breton: Thank you for sharing your resources and informati...
- Dave: That's "an answer."...
- Dave: I'm a college prof and I don't see and answer. My ...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Ann for spending time on my blog and recomm...
- Lynn O'Shaughnessy: Thanks Sona! I just saw your comment. It's smart t...
Follow @collegeblogs on Twitter