Note: Michelle Kretzschmar of Do It Yourself College Rankings and I will be holding our next college webinar at 4 p.m. PDT this Sunday (July 7). You can discover what we will be covering by clicking on my webinar link. We will also be answering your questions. We hope you can attend! Lynn O’Shaughnessy
I received this email over the weekend from an anxious father that I wanted to share with you.
The dad is having second thoughts about the school that he pressured his daughter to attend. He is already contemplating his daughter transferring next year to a different school.
I think his story could generate some interesting discussions about rankings, price, graduate school and more. I’d love to hear what advice you might give this dad. I’ll weigh in on my next post. Lynn O’Shaughnessy
Having Second Thoughts
Throughout my daughter’s college preparation and selection this year, I have followed some of the suggestions from your book (The College Solution) and discussion from this forum (at least I can say that I was strongly influenced when I made decisions).
These are the only two schools where she was accepted. Her dream school University of Virginia finally turned her down after long wait along with University of Chicago. Now I am a bit unsure about this decision and I would like to seek your opinion on this.
The main reasons that I argued for her choosing Pitt are:
- Financial consideration as she didn’t get any scholarship from BC (She was in top 5-10% in her class, excellent GPA, SAT 2180).
- Where or not she will fit in the school as BC is considered a party school and to have students coming from wealthy families.
- BC is not among top 20 schools to worth the investment as its ranking is No. 31.
- The money saved will help her to pay graduation school when she goes to a top school for higher degree, e.g. Ph.D. MFA.
A Freshman’s Future Plans
I should point out that she is interested in majoring in creative writing and a minor degree in science, e.g. biology. Her long-term goal is to get a terminal degree such as MFA, PhD and become a university professor. She really likes to teach.
My main concern is whether a BA degree from Pitt (even though with outstanding GPA after graduation as she is ambitious and hardworking) put her in a less favorable situation (compared with a BA degree from BC for example) when applying for top schools for higher degree?
If my concern is valid, what should be the next step?
Considering transfer to BC or a private liberal art college after 1st year? She didn’t apply any liberal art colleges this year as she wanted to go a big school but I think she is now willing to consider. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me on this as this decision has troubled me more and more lately. Let me know if you need any further information.
What Do You Think?
If you have any comments on this situation, please share them in the box below.